Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

The sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora


There will be some spoilers under the cut, but not the type that should diminish your enjoyment of the series.  If you haven't read The Lies of Locke Lamora yet, go read that before you read this review!

This book continues Locke and Jean's story from the previous book.  Towards the beginning of the book they arrive in a new city, ripe for the plucking, and are found by some enemies from their recent past.  In this story Locke and Jean are both manipulators and pawns of powerful people.  They wind up being forced into a scheme of piracy.

I enjoyed Red Seas Under Red Skies plenty, but not as much as The Lies of Locke Lamora and not enough to convince me that this series is better for being a series.  I still feel like Locke should have died at the end of the first book, leaving it as a stand alone novel.  God forbid fantasy novels stand alone or as other than 7 book series! 

I was hesitant throughout much of the book because there were cats.  Worse, characters were getting attached to the cats.  This is a problem for me because many authors seem to enjoy including horrible things being done to animals to make you empathize with the good guys and hate the bad guys.  I kept expecting this to happen with the cats in this book, but it never did!  That made me happy, and made me feel cynical for expecting Scott Lynch to use that particular plot device. 

If you enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora I'm guessing you'll enjoy this book nearly as much.  It's hard for me to wholeheartedly endorse an unfinished fantasy saga at this point, but I really do enjoy this one. 

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...