Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Wings of Wrath by C.S. Friedman

Wings of Wrath is the sequel to Feast of Souls, and is the second book in Friedman's Magister Trilogy. This book made the Magister series even more compelling. I cannot wait for the third book, the ending of Wings of Wrath left a bunch of questions that I want answers to badly. It isn't expected to be released until May 2011, and that makes me very sad.


This book focuses on the world's fight against the terrifying "soul eaters" that are gradually returning, and various more complicated politics of the setting. Some of the characters in the background of the previous book got real, real interesting in Wings of Wrath. I especially enjoyed the Witch-Queen's chapters. She has incredibly fascinating motivations and perspectives.

I almost never enjoy reading sex-scenes. They do nothing for me and usually just make me cringe. At best, I normally feel like sex-scenes are a necessary evil for showing characters' relationships. In Wings of Wrath, CS Friedman wrote some amazing seduction scenes. They were vivid and tasteful and I actually enjoyed reading them. It was weird.

If you have any interest in fantasy books and haven't yet read Friedman, fix that now. Go get Feast of Souls and Wings of Wrath!

3 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by CS Friedman, I don't think. They sound like good books... will have to pick up a copy when I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely do! The Magisters Trilogy is the most polished. Those, The Madness Season and Alien Shore are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sort of started moving away from traditional fantasy, not really deliberately, but gradually I've started moving towards the sort of lesser known side-branches of fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...